The Bloggers

Theresa Gorman

I’m from a small town in Western New York State that nobody has ever heard of. This is where the Amish come from. After ten happy years working in a public library in Texas, I became a teacher. I’ve spent the past seven years teaching in Bosnia, Bulgaria, Macedonia, and Saudi Arabia. I finished my Trinity Diploma at Oxford TEFL in Barcelona and now I’m a freelance teacher in Berlin, Germany.

Soon I’ll start my M.A. Professional Development for Language Education at NILE. (It’s similar to an M.A. TESOL) I’m getting an M.A. because I love the work but don’t want to be an underpaid teacher forever.  One dream of mine is to open and run a language center/community center somewhere in the Balkans where people come together to learn, meet, build their community and change the world.

This picture is from my honeymoon in N. Wales in 2010 with my co-blogger, Paul.

Paul Walsh

Hi, I’m Paul I’m from Telford in the West Midlands, UK (also a town no-one has heard of!). I’ve been trying to teach English for over 6 years now with varying degrees of success, and most of all I’ve really enjoyed living in new places and meeting new people.

I’ve taught in Poland, Bosnia (where I met my wife – see above!), Macedonia, Bulgaria and Saudi Arabia. I completed the Trinity Diploma at Oxford House Barcelona, and I can thoroughly recommend the course.  At the moment we’re living in Berlin where I’m working towards an M.A. in East European Studies.

This picture was taken in Saudi Arabia, on a weekend trip to the desert.

Fiona Deane

Hi, I´m Fiona. Having spent  last eleven years living in Spain, I´m now living in the UK, based in Brighton.  I met Paul and Theresa on the Trinity TESOL diploma course with Oxford House in Barcelona where our brains nearly fried, but we also had a good time and learnt a lot!  I used to work in tourism and art administration, and then five years ago I took up teaching in Spain.

I currently work at Stafford House of English in Brighton doing some teacher training and teaching a mix of Cambridge ESOL, IELTS and General English classes.  Having taught mostly mononlingual classes in Spain, my classes are now totally multilingual.  I´ve worked in TEFL in administration / management  and as a Cambridge ESOL Oral Examiner.    In addition to this blog, I give regular INSET workshops and in October 2012 gave a workshop on Student Motivation at The Stafford House Teaching Conference in Canterbury.  I passed the Trinity diploma with distinction.

9 thoughts on “The Bloggers

1. Hi Theresa, Paul and Fiona.. good to see what you guys have been up to and read your blogs. Just finished my Unit 1 resit last Friday. See my email for details

2. Hey bloggers,

Thanks for the insight on the course. I just had my interview today and still shaky on the whole grammar section of the writing part. I’m hoping to start preparing now as I’m clearly going to need it. Any other advise you think would be helpful?

• Hi Myriam,
      Thanks for commenting. I found the grammar section of the exam very difficult. My advice is to get hold of past exams and practise as many grammar questions as you can. You could try writing answers under exam conditions, then going back and looking up any of the grammar stuff you weren’t sure about. Thornbury’s About Language is a great source for revising the grammar. He also has exercises which are helpful. I liked this book better than the Martin Parrott. Best of luck to you!

3. Pingback: The Island Weekly » Blog Archive » Teaching the present perfect

4. Hello all,

My name is Danielle and I am thinking about taking the DIP TESOL. I am in the middle of trying to transition into a new teaching job that has more security than a simple freelance contract, which is what I have now. Will the DIP TESOL help me to get determinate or indeterminate contracts more easily, or is it one of those “it all depends” responses? Thanks for your help.

Warm regards,

Danielle

• Hi Danielle,

Thanks for commenting – sorry for the delay in response. Regarding having the Dip., I can say that for myself and theresa (and other people on my Dip. course), having the qualification definitely opens doors.

Whether you get a better contract depends on where you’re working, and how much in demand your skills are! I would say that having the diploma gives you more options, but it really pays to have some specialised skill which is in demand in your local market (e.g. IELTS, Business English skills, etc.). You will always be able to demand higher pay for this in my opinion,

regards,

paul

5. If you’re leaving this blog will it still be available to access? Its got so much useful info on it – it would be a shame to lose it – am trying to keep motivated to finish my diploma and this site is a real help!

• Hi Rosalind,

Sorry for delay in answering, I rarely check this site now unfortunately. The problem was that we never really got much support for this project, apart from the peeps at Oxford Tefl Barcelona and working teachers such as yourself! Trinity also never showed much interest, despite us plugging their product.

So the blog became a timesink really, and all three of us have moved on to other projects. But we learnt a lot from the experience of blogging and I highly recommend blogging as a route into ELT.

I need to speak to Fiona and Theresa but I think the blog will be up for the foreseeable future. If you’re interested you could even write a guest post and resuscitate the blog!

paul